Pollinators Need Us, and We Need Pollinators! Bee Friendly Gardening Canada Members are Making a Difference
Birds, bats, bees, butterflies, beetles, and other small animals that pollinate plants are responsible for bringing us one out of every three bites of food. They also sustain our ecosystems and produce our natural resources by helping plants reproduce. But many pollinators are showing disturbing signs of decline. They need your help NOW.
Here at Pollinator Partnership Canada we promote the health of pollinators, critical to food and ecosystems, through conservation, education, and research. The mission of Bee Friendly Gardening Canada is to help people play a bigger role in the health of pollinators and the planet. Many Canadian households have an outdoor living space. If every one of those households created much needed habitat in their yard or garden, together we could have a big impact. Your space can provide ecosystem services to pollinators and other wildlife - no lawn, garden, balcony or window box is too small!
Criteria for BFG Canada Membership
- Plant nectar and pollen-providing plants throughout the bloom season, especially in early spring and late autumn. We provide resources to help you with this! These can be native plants supporting your ecosystem as well as non-invasive introduced species.
- Provide nesting sites via permanent plantings and by leaving dead stems, bare ground, and tree stumps/snags, or by offering bee boxes.
- Consider offering a water source.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides. Use Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Apply no chemicals to blooming plants or when pollinators are foraging.
- Pay the annual $25 CAD membership fee.
Anyone with influence over a patch of land can make a difference! By becoming a Bee Friendly Gardening (BFG) Canada Member, you will preserve and protect pollinator populations by implementing simple, positive, and incremental changes on your property.
BFG Canada Exclusive Resources
- Show pride in your BFG garden with a sign - purchase yours here!
- Receive regular BFG newsletter
- Exclusive access to garden/pollinator related webinars/videos/trainings
- Exclusive access to BFG store with BFG swag/apparel
- Priority/exclusive access to free seeds, resources, and campaigns
- Share your story in featured web and newsletter spotlights
- Help direct BFG programs via surveys and your input
- Tax-deductible donation to expand bee friendly actions everywhere
By joining the Bee Friendly Gardening Canada Member community, you are connecting to a larger network of Bee Friendly Farming Certified producers, supporting farmers, and building recognition for the good work they are doing for our pollinators. The Bee Friendly programs help farmers and gardeners incorporate affordable, simple, science-based guidelines, like offering nutrition and habitat for bees and implementing integrated pest management strategies. Bee Friendly Gardening Canada Members are an essential part of keeping our pollinators healthy and food supply abundant. Ready to make a difference? Join BFG Canada today, and support the pollinators and other wildlife with which we share this planet.
Questions? We are here to help! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.